PART I (IMPORTANT reminders/announcements)-
1. Help “LIKE” OCAT on Facebook and stay up-to-date with cultural & academic opportunities!
2. OCAT is looking for dynamic students who want to get involved with planning various cultural events in the spring. If you have time and are interested, please contact Meaghan Kozar at email@example.com or call (517) 353-9140. This is an excellent way to get involved, meet other students, stay connected to OCAT and build that resume!
3. Make sure to scroll all the way through email for upcoming events. Get out your calendars!
PART II (JOBS/VOLUNTEER/INTERNSHIP/SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES)-
1. Seniors: Teach For America application deadline on January 24
Start an application for the 2014 corps: http://www.teachforamerica.org/apply
Teach For America is a national non-profit organization committed to providing all students with access to an excellent education. In the United States today, only 50% of the 16 million kids that grow up in a low-income community will graduate high school and 8% will graduate college by the age of 24. The potential of American kids to realize their dreams should not be constrained by the zip code they grow up in. Be a part of the movement to ensure that all kids have access to the American Dream, through a quality education, by applying to Teach For America. We recruit a diverse group of leaders with a record of achievement who work to expand educational opportunity, starting by teaching for two years in a low-income community. We provide intensive training, support, and career development that helps these leaders increase their impact and deepen their understanding of what it takes to provide an excellent education for our nation’s most underserved kids.
- We accept all majors and career interests
- Full salary ranging from $25,500 to $51,000 plus benefits
- Exclusive scholarships and benefits from graduate schools (medical/law) and employers
- Placement in 48 urban and rural regions across the USA
- Bloomberg Business Week recently named Teach For America as one of the top 10 places to start a career, and we are the only non-profit organization in Forbes top-100 places to work.
- Learn more about Teach For America: www.teachforamerica.org/our-mission
- TFA on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/teachforamerica
The next application deadline is Friday, January 24 at 11:59pm. Successful applicants will receive a final offer and regional placement on March 13. To learn more or have questions answered, reach out to MSU and TFA alum, Randy Warren firstname.lastname@example.org
2. SASE (Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers) is looking for new eboard (and general body) members.SASE is dedicated to the advancement of Asian heritage scientists and engineers in education and employment so that they can achieve their full career potential.
LIKE SASE on Facebook!
General Member Sign Up
3. Need a one-credit course for Spring 2014? Want to increase your cultural awareness? Register for SSC 291 “Intro. to Asian Pacific American Studies Program”
Details: Once a week (Tuesdays) for 10 sessions (beginning 3rd week of classes January 2014) Register today!
4. The student group, International Volunteer Action Corps (IVAC) is looking at restructuring and is looking for students who are interested in using their leadership in highly diverse settings. IVAC is looking for energetic and fun students who are interested in planning events and designing IVAC to attract domestic and international students. IVAC values service-learning, and learning about different cultures. If you are interested/would like more information, please contact IVAC at email@example.com
5. Free Practice Test for GRE, LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, OAT, DAT, & PCAT!
Kaplan is offering free practice tests. This is a great opportunity to see how you might have scored if you had taken the real test. MCAT, LSAT, & GRE will be held on campus at the Kellogg Center. GMAT, DAT, OAT, & PCAT will be held live on-line. The day will be a great experience giving you the opportunity to take the practice test, receive a score report explaining your performance by question type, and a strategy session to learn test taking strategies from a proctor who has scored in the 90th percentile on the actual test. For more information & to pre-register: http://bit.ly/MichiganStateUfreePracticeTest
ASMSU Partnership – 20% off of Kaplan Test Prep Courses! All Students receive 20% off of a Kaplan GRE, LSAT, MCAT, or GMAT through ASMSU Student Government! Kaplan is the world leader of test prep and gets twice as many undergrads into grad school compared to all other major courses combined! For more information: http://bit.ly/Kaplan_ASMSU_TEST_PREP
6. View listing of Career Fairs offered by the Career Services Network.
Diversity Career Fair
Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM @ the Breslin Center
MSU’s largest spring semester event. Something for all students, all majors, all colleges. This event attracts well-known employers representing a variety of industries and full time, internship, and co-op opportunities for students.
Questions? Contact the Career Events Office at (517) 884-1310.
PART III (UPCOMING EVENTS)-
Saturday, January 18th
1. 10th Anniversary of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Leadership Conference
MSU Union (9:00 – 4:00PM)
Please take a minute to register online now for what promises to be an amazing leadership conference with awesome prizes (iPod Touch, Beats Headphones, MSU Footballs & so much more), unbelievable performance by Nomis (Hip Hop & Spoken Word Artist), Powerful workshops (focusing on Leadership Development, Human/Civil Rights, & Social Justice) , incredible networking opportunities, and a huge resource fair! Space is limited and accommodations will be on a first-come first-served basis.
OTHER MLK, JR. events
2. RECFEST 2014
IM SPORTS WEST (1:30-4:30PM)
Recreational Sports and Fitness Services is hosting our annual Rec Fest on January 18, 2014. Please forward to any student groups you feel might be interested. We will have demonstrations by our club sports, group exercise instructors as well as huge inflatable games this year! The door prizes are bigger and better than ever and we have free food!
Friday, January 31st & Saturday, February 1st
1. MSU Vagina Monologues
Wharton Center (8:00PM) Tickets for the MSU Vagina Monologues Benefit Performance are on sale now!
The 2014 beneficiary of the proceeds is the Sparrow Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Unit (SANE). SANE is a critical community resource providing medical care and forensic evidence collection for victims of sexual violence. SANE is a key leader of the Capital Area Sexual Assault Response Team and serves hundreds of patients each year. Performances will be at the Wharton Center Jan 31 at 8:00 pm and Feb 1st at 2:00 pm & 8:00 pm. Please distribute the attached flyer and purchase your tickets on-line to help support Sparrow SANE! http://www.whartoncenter.com/events/detail/the-vagina-monologues. The Vagina Monologues is a V-Day global effort to end violence against women and girls. The play can be described as a comedy and drama, taking the audience through a range of emotions associated with the feminine experience. Most audience members indicate it’s a life changing experience. To learn more about V-Day visit: http://www.vday.org/home
Saturday, February 15th
1. APASO presents LNY (Lunar New Year)
Wharton Center, Time TBD
Friday, February 21st
Performance by the 1491’s with opener Black Thunder Singers, presented by the Indigenous Law and Policy CenterLocation TBD (6:00pm)
6pm- Black Thunder Singer
VIEW FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE for more details:
Saturday, February 22nd
1. MSU’s 31st Pow wow of Love
Jenison Fieldhouse (10:00AM)
Michigan State University and the North American Indigenous Student Organization (NAISO) are hosting the 31st Annual Powwow of Love! The Powwow this year will include: *Dancing* *Food Vendors* *American Indian Crafts* *Music*
Emcee – Jason Whitehouse
Host Drum – Bear Creek
Head Male Dancer – Marcus Winchester
Head Female Dancer – Bleu Bird
Head Vet – George Martin
Arena Director – Dave Shananaquet
VIEW FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE for more details:
“The Cultural Connection” is a bi-monthly email highlighting the cultural/academic events offered by the Office of Cultural & Academic Transitions (OCAT) as well as other departments and organizations at Michigan State University. This email is organized into three parts (Part I/Important reminders/announcements, Part II/Jobs/Volunteer/Internship/Scholarship Opportunities, and Part III/Upcoming Cultural & Academic Events). This is only a partial listing of the cultural/academic events that take place at MSU. If you would like a cultural/academic event(s) offered by your organization or department highlighted in this bi-montly email and/or know of someone who would like to receive these emails please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call the OCAT office at (517) 353-7745. If you would like to stop receiving these emails, please respond with your request.